The Columbia Commons Interprofessional Education Committee is seeking faculty, staff and students to be “IPE Faculty Leaders” and facilitate workshops for the April 5th IPE Day. On April 5, 2018 in lieu of regularly scheduled classes for most dental, medical, nursing, nutrition, occupational therapy, pastoral care, physical therapy, public health and social work students at Columbia, the campus will join together for a daylong interprofessional curriculum. Students, faculty, and staff will cross school boundaries and join together for presentations, experiential learning, workshops, and skill-building seminars that convey the necessity and skills of egalitarian team work. The purpose of Columbia Commons Campus-Wide Day of Interprofessional Action is to dissolve professional silos and hierarchies and improve respectful, effective, person-centered care.
We need workshop facilitators to make this day a success!
We would like to offer a variety of interactive workshops including all forms of clinical care requiring good team work, health policy, reproductive health, end of life care, the opioid epidemic, environmental hazards, dementia care, precision medicine, obesity, marginalized populations and other related themes important to interprofessionalism. The Columbia Commons Steering Committee will also have prepared curriculums for workshops that IPE Faculty Leaders can choose to utilize.
Workshops can be entirely faculty-led, staff-led, student-led, or a combination. While we welcome existing teams to partner together for presentations, this is not a requirement. We will gladly partner IPE Faculty Leaders from other health professional programs based on topics. IPE Faculty Leaders will lead sessions with dental, medical, nursing, nutrition, occupational therapy, pastoral care, physical therapy, public health, and social work students. Sessions will include time for students to introduce themselves, a low-tech presentation on the topic, followed by active discussions and/or interactive activities. In addition to addressing pressing health concerns, these workshops should provide an opportunity for interprofessional communication and team building.
Sign-up to be an IPE Faculty Leader on the form below!
Form not loading? Try this link >>
Detailed Information for IPE Faculty Leaders
The overall mission of Columbia Commons Campus-Wide Day of Interprofessional Action is for students to develop the capacity to:
- Articulate the importance of mutually respectful interprofessional collaboration in caring for patients, families, communities and populations served.
- Describe how roles and responsibilities of members within interprofessional health care teams complement one another.
- Understand and utilize the knowledge of one’s own role and those of other professional to best assess and address the healthcare needs of patients, communities and populations served.
- Communicate in a responsive and responsible manner when working within an interprofessional health care team.
- Build interprofessional relationships with students, faculty, and staff within the CUMC community.
- Identify key resources and perspectives that will facilitate the reduction of health disparities.
- Identify opportunities for individuals to advocate for health equity and strengthen public health infrastructure and capacity.
Final Schedule and Logistics
Contact Tayla Curran at email@example.com or 212.305.4975 with questions.